PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The hardest thing about the IR?
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2004, 13:33
CAT3C AUTOLAND

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
six-sixty,

Its like anything mate, the more you do it the better you get at it. You will most likely find that your altitude, heading control will be second to none, as you are always scanning the instruments.

One thing I found tricky on the IR course was how to cope when things don't go according to plan. For example, when ATC keep you in the hold at FL80 and you are wanting to commence the NDB procedure which starts intially at 3000ft. Or, ATC change the runway at the last minute as you are commencing an approach and you have to re-plan, brief the new appproach, and fly the aeroplane. Its distractions that catch you out.

I think the key is to be ahead of the game, as I have been told many times. If you are sitting in the aircraft doing nothing, then you should be thinking about what you should be doing, i.e. identing beacons, doing checks, getting the ATIS, tuning in frequencies etc, etc. Try and make ATC work for you, for example, get your missed approach instructions while flying the hold, or out bound in a procedure, not while you are 400ft off the deck trying the fly an ILS. Its little things like that can distract you and you become unstuck.

You asked about morse, you don't have to learn it, however, if you don't you will be trying to ident beacons, whilst looking at your plog getting distracted, meanwhile the aircraft has gained 100ft and you have drifted off heading by 10 degrees. I would make the effort to learn it, it will reduce the workload for you.

Hope the above helps, its only my experiences, but the main thing is, enjoy it!

Good luck.