PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LONDON TUBE DRIVERS ON PILOTS PAY!
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2001, 05:41
Juliet November

Now this will probably see my a** get bitten off, but what the hell.

Some here describe a train drivers job as "just pushing buttons" and "sitting for hours looking at a straight line". Ehhh, excuse me for a moment guys but that to me seems quite a lot like a pilot job under normal operating circumstances. Surely, there are instances where the job carries a little more than that, but I will assume that driving a train also entails a bit more at times. Add to that the lingering fear these guys must have for a nutter to jump out in front of them when life gets too ****ty. Far as I can remember there ain't nobody who's ever committed suicide by jumping in front of an aircraft.

Cheer up guys, if you like your job do it ! Pilots do not fart sunshine, much as some would like to belive it. The pilot job is not what it used to be, there are massive numbers of pilots out there willing to work ****ty hours for a modest pay. If you are working for money only, go to IT or study law or something, don't drive aircraft for a living.
Me, I have a job that I like in the industry and may pay is not nearly what an average pilot in the company commands. Do I complain or make comparisons to guys in IT ? Nope, if that was the case I'd consider a career change. But I actually enjoy what I do, and to making big bucks is not the ultimate goal in life. Having fun and being healthy is.

Recently took a jumpseat ride, and despite for the 16 mins to TOC and the last 20 mins from TOD the guys were actually just sitting there looking at dials and buttons, much the same as a train drive I presume. Apart from the captain that is, who was catching up on some reading. That is not my idea of fun, just like driving a train is not either. Spending days away from home in ever changing hotel rooms don't strike me as a great deal of fun either, and that is why I have decided to stay on the ground.