PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ThomsonFly Approved Scheme
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2004, 17:15
StudentInDebt

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
The way Integrated will go?

I humbly apologise for not knowing that BAe had sold Jerez.

A few years ago I read an article in a flight training trade magazine about a new form of sponsorship for the post 9-11 world where FTOs would offer integrated/modular courses in conjunction with partner airlines. I understood that at the time of the article BMI were looking to get the ball rolling with OATS. The article mentioned that higher than usual entry criteria (in terms of educational qualifications) would be applied in order to aid the selection process.

I imagine that, since those considering an Integrated course at Jerez will be probably be climbing over each other to try to get a spot on this scheme, stringent educational qualifications have probably been set to reduce the number of applicants. Remember that Thomsonfly is now the brand name for the whole Britannia product so successful graduates could find themselves on either a mainline or lowcost fleet. There are currently moves afoot to make the terms and conditions equal across both fleets.

Although the CTC scheme has been in existence for a while this is the first time I've seen it promoted by an integrated provider (other than the previous less than kosher Oxford "BA scheme"). I think we maybe looking at the sponsorship of the future here; no outlay, and hence no risk, from the sponsoring airline and at the end of it they get a known, pre-selected candidate with a complete audit trail of training. For the candidate there is the prospect of employment being easier to come by on completion of the course although I imagine the pressure to do well would be very intense!

wubalaj - were do you get your information on wait times for type ratings, reductions in salary etc? Also interesting that you think people would want to leave after a few years as that does not seem to be the norm in Thomsonfly.

Yeoman - damn, what gave me away

Last edited by StudentInDebt; 19th Nov 2004 at 17:44.