PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cosmic Cancer and Radiation
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2004, 12:23
Arctic Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
signeti:

I have a link here that might interest you. - There are many, many others, so I shall be back later, when I find some more, if you are still interested.

www.avweb.com/news/aeromed/181873-1.html

surtyp:
Has your memory come up with the name of the company that provides real time radiation monitoring? - I have heard of one: www.Globalog.com
- there is quite a lot of information on their homepage.

halfbaked_boy:
A dosimeter is required for aircraft flying above 49000 feet. It is for alert if the radiation rises above a pre-set level, and requires an immediate descent. But it is not good for measuring the radiation accumulated during the flight.

kilo-club SNA:
Those researchers that claim that the fuselage blocks off the radiation are in conflict with other researchers who claim that the radiation at 40000 feet would require a shell of 20 inches (50 centimeters) of lead. - And this is really not anything to discuss when we talk about airplanes, is it?

And with regard to skin cancer - yes, who knows? It could be from sunburns, but how would you explain a rate of 4 times the usual of leuchemia? - or the latest cancer study I have seen from November last year, an incident rate of breast cancer of 5 times for female cabin attendants having flown more than 5 years compared to c/a's having flown less than 5 years?

There is a lot to think about, and the least we should do is to keep an account on how much we are exposed to.

Last edited by Arctic Flyer; 19th Nov 2004 at 12:56.