PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Paying for type-rating.
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2004, 11:46

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speaking as someone who had to fork out 23,000 for a type rating having already flown some 1000 hours biz jet before, I can only advise the following.

If you don't do it, some-one else will. It's nice to know we can rely on our compatriots out there eh?? There are plenty of Kiwis and Ozzies out there who are willing to come to the UK due to lack of flying opportunities at home. With the expansion of the EU, we also face the prospect of former eastern block country pilots willing to work for less than the home grown talent.

I personally think that it's disgusting that you pay for the ATPL, gambling everything without any guarantee of a job to find that you have to find another phenomenal amount of cash or face life in limbo. I'm particularly annoyed having already had a Jet Type rating, however I had to look to the future and this was the only way for me.

Was it worth it? well i now getting spoken to like s**t by jumped up wotnot's in crewing (even if they are ringing up for a favour, I'm ameniable to them as i understand they have a difficult job and sometimes have to deal with self important flight deck) get called the driver by passengers, have no social life, and due to the fun police - now face been locked in a small, loud unclean cockpit for 10 hours a day. Yes it was.

For all that, financially it will never be worth it (having given up a reasonably well paid job and will never recoup what I have paid out or lost in terms of salary) I get to fly jets for a living. and to me that's what it's all about.

I'd just advise that you get an offer in place with an airline before embarking on a type rating. Because for all the hard graft of getting that jet on your licence, there are still people in HR who think that just because you can't build a lego tower, you can't get on with people or fly jets. What B*****ks

live the dream