PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATCO Decision now Excited/scared bout CATC
Old 19th Nov 2004, 08:12
Scotsliveit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Daunting but exciting adventure ahead

It's great to read the posts from the guys who have gave up so much more than me to give this a shot. Young families and wives etc being left at home, and still paying the mortgage while training.

I'm up for the challenge ahead and it really is what I need at this point of my life. I've always felt guilty buying houses and cars in my present position as I have no true real passion for it and it's all about money. I often regret not following one of my passions when I was younger (aviation) being one. This is my chance before I'm thirty to do this.

It's heartening to hear of the other guys like myself taking the 50% plus pay cuts to do this. It ratifies to me that I'm not insane to be changing my career this way and I look forward to giving you all my support in the trek towards validation.

In some ways we could be worse off. I have four years experience in a good career, if things go wrong I fall back on my qualifications and experience and start this career again on a pay rise knowing that I gave this a shot.

I'll make sure that doesn't happen by giving my all to make a success of this.

The youngsters have nothing to fall back on and may have to consider a different career are scramble an ATSA position if the worst happens.

Another thing that appeals to me is being around people with a similar goal as myself. Not all exactly the same as me (that would be boring) but a team in the true sense. (I think thats why area control at Swanwick appeals to me at the moment). I don't really have that in my career just now. Tend to live for the weekend and that's not life.

My friends and family are fully behind me with some reservations. This is a bit deep but alot of them think I just need a great women in my life to haha rescue me from my bachelor lifestyle. They think this is me taking a backward step from settling down as they know it would be hard to start any serious relationship during the training ahead due to the intensity of it and the possible geographic mobility.

Sorry to go on a bit but just sharing my thoughts with guys who may be in the same position.

Hopefully our journey through the college shouldn't be as long as some (courses 124 - 128) due to course restructure. I know it's talking way off in the future but it's in NATS interest to get us valid in the best possible time (hard when there is a shortage of ATCO's for OJT when out at the unit)

Well that's the heart on the sleeve bit over haha you won't find me this honest and emotional when we meet in the pub ;0)

I'll be sticking all my furniture into storage, selling the flat and living in Boscombe for a wee bit to really get to know the gang.

Then I'll probably be scoping for an unfurnished flat to get my furniture down and wire in. Is sub letting legal??

yeh Rodan you\'re right. Partick has a few maddies living there but it\'s mainly alright. Lot\'s of students, good people etc. I lived there as a student.

Oh my GOD I\'m becoming a student again.

In addition do you have to pay my favourite tax COUNCIL TAX while you\'re at CATC??