PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LONDON TUBE DRIVERS ON PILOTS PAY!
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2001, 14:59
flange lubricator

Captain Sensible - you are entirely correct! I've been qualified to drive trains for 11 years. I'm passed on about a dozen types. There is a common level of knowldge reqired about rules,regulations, routes and signalling but a vast difference in the level of handling skill required between a tube train and a 2500 ton coal train! Again, driving a high speed express requires a different style.

There is some commonality between the two jobs like anti-social hours and being hunched over a set of controls all day (or night) but that's where it ends.
Having as I mentioned previously, the PRIVILEDGE of my mates jumpseat on his Virgin 744, I've had the opportunity to see you guys at work.

I don't know how it actually feels when you handle a big jet but, I am certainly aware of the amount of knowledge you need to retain and how you not only have to fly the plane but MANAGE it, and do all of this just as well during a crisis - that's the big difference!

The passengers respect the men up front - and so they sould because, it is you - and only you - who can make the difference between a smooth touchdown or a ball of fire when things go wrong.

We merely come to a stand in the middle of nowhere with the punters damanding more free booze!

That's why you should command a salary with 6 figures in it.

Crappy Modem - We would indeed welcome you with open arms into the driving cab. But only with pre arranged authority, a cab pass and an Inspector to ride with you!

......and finally

The selection criteria is:-

Min age 21 Max 45

Height between 5'4" and 6'4"

Ability to pass a psychometric test.

Good eyesight (glasses permitted)

the address is ......

Virgin Trains Recruitment
Meridian
85 Smallbrook Queensway
Birmingham
B5 4HA