PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Atlanta Cargo incident Sharjah 07/11/04
Old 19th Nov 2004, 02:53
Phil Squares

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been sitting on the sidelines since this occured. In fact, I passed through SHJ a day after it happened.

I left AAI several months ago. The constant self sacrifice that was expected of the crews just wasn't worth it. Unless AAI has changed radically, the crews were constantly being asked to either not write anything up or if they did it was "fixed" with a BIC pen. The crews were always being akded to compromise their integrity with no back up from the company.

A case in point. I believe the aircraft was ARG, but the aircraft had a history of having the landing gear door light coming on in flight. It was written up by several crews, myself included, and the fix was to adjust the door switches. Finally, if I remember correctly, the aircraft was written up and non AAI mx looked at the problem. They discovered a cracked keel beam. There are lots of stories like that. PLEASE don't interpret this to say MX was the cause of the SHJ accident.

Off the top of my head, I would be more inclined to point the finger at training or the lack of it. I don't know if the head instructor on the 747 is still in that position, but his appaling lack of experience was amazing. He was a nice guy, even with a few beers in him and his face was beet red, he was still a nice guy. But he had no place in that position. Look at the former VP of Flights Ops.

Just my opinion.