PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATCO Decision now Excited/scared bout CATC
Old 18th Nov 2004, 09:56
Scotsliveit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATCO Decision now Excited/scared bout CATC

Well I've read this forum with deep interest over the last few days. It's given me alot of the information that I couldn't find anywhere else especially NATS Hr over the last year.

I passed the selection tests and the interviews first time this year. Recently passed passed the medical and looks like I'm heading down to CATC in March 05. (a year from sitting the tests, not bad if all goes smoothly)

How long would someone applying in 2001/2002 have had too wait?

This is probably the biggest decision I've ever made in my life. I like a gamble though but gambling with my career ..ahh.

I'm in my late twenties so it's the only chance I've got to do it. I've been fascinated with avaition since a baby. Almost joined the RAF as a pilot after Honours degree. Opted instead to play safe and do my Masters degree.

Now I'm taking more than a 50% paycut to become a trainee. Selling my flat and possibly giving up alot of little luxuries in life, leather sofas, sky, superkingsize bed, living alone and Celtic football club.

rite nuff of that tears on my pillow p*sh. I'm gonna/have to do it. To hear you guys describing it as the best job in the world, and still enjoying the buzz and challenge is great.

Now listening to the kids talking is great as they're excited and motivated but they're not giving up anything to do it. Everything is a plus for them. I am more interested in the guys like myself who've given up good careers (which they're less passionate about) to persue this.

Another thing is I love living on my own, yep sure I'll stay in a Boscombe B&B for a few weeks to booze with the gang and try and suss out a cool flat.

Is it affordable for a trainee to live on their todd? And have the crew round when suits?

It's going to weird being one of the older ones as I've always been one of the younger ones. At least though they'll always be up for a night out unlike my troops here who're hiding in their houses with their girlfriends(or certain publications).

Anyhow's I'd like to hear from anyone else who was in my situation.

Also the true pros and cons of ATCO life from the inside(besides the buzz of the job). 181 days off a year etc. Do you get cheap holidays? What is it about the lifestyle you guys love? Note I also want to hear the bad points from your side.

I'm slightly concerned bout the shiftwork aspect. It teriffies me to think about being sleepy on this job. Also you miss the footy sometimes (get over it)

Oh yeah is there ever any hot girls on the courses at CATC? ;0)