PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MK Airlines B747 crash at Halifax
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2004, 21:24
Safety Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
747focal:

As a safety person, it is my job to identify how and why unsafe events and conditions occur. Your point is not relevant from a safety perspective. There are many safety buffers built into the way aircraft systems and performance parameters are certified. Those buffers are there to allow for minor errors and ommissions, component wear and tear, and imperfections in human performance. There is no way to quantify where you are in a given circumstance relative to a safety buffer. No professional pilot worth his salt wants to enter the ragged edge between the safety margin and a negative (and maybe deadly) result.

You are taking the focus away from the important issue, which is how and why the MK crew erred in setting the power. Remove that error, and the accident doesn't happen. You can play test pilot if you wish, but I'm not so sure your colleagues and your customers would wish to join you during your experiment. As I said before, unless I'm faced with an un-flyable airplane,when V1 arrives, I am going flying.

SG