PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Paying for type-rating.
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2004, 19:08
Anne.Nonymous

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think there are two issues here.

First you get yourself qualified with an CPL/ATPL and then the hours/ experience. That is the same as any other profession.

However, in my experience the actual type rating becomes very specific to the idividual airline. An Airbus or 737 rating is fine and shows your commitment but that is all. You will still need to get an LPC/OPC from the airline you are joining. The airline is required to ensure the standard of their pilot training.

Where do you stop? If the airline has another aircraft type and you would like to transfer, are you going to pay for yet another rating? Do you go for a bigger aircraft - ATR - 737 - A321 - 767 - A330?

I have been fortunate not to have to pay for any of my type ratings but I do know the airline I work for made a small fortune from selling ratings with the faint whiff of a job offer at the end of the line - and then creamed off the top two or three that they wanted.

All went away £10,500 poorer but out of forty plus trainees three got a job. Given their previous experience (1 ex-mil and two turbo-prop captains) they would have probably got a job anyway.

Keep the money and build the hours as best you can.

Anne