PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MK Airlines B747 crash at Halifax
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2004, 18:36
747FOCAL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay I actually said that kinda wrong........

FAR 25.113 Takeoff Distance and Takeoff Run.

[(a) Takeoff distance on a dry runway is the greater of--
(1) The horizontal distance along the takeoff path from the start of the takeoff to the point at which the airplane is 35 feet above the takeoff surface, determined under Sec. 25.111 for a dry runway; or]
(2) 115 percent of the horizontal distance along the takeoff path, with all engines operating, from the start of the takeoff to the point at which the airplane is 35 feet above the takeoff surface, as determined by a procedure consistent with Sec. 25.111.
[(b) Takeoff distance on a wet runway is the greater of--
(1) The takeoff distance on a dry runway determined in accordance with paragraph (a) of this section; or
(2) The horizontal distance along the takeoff path from the start of the takeoff to the point at which the airplane is 15 feet above the takeoff surface, achieved in a manner consistent with the achievement of V2 before reaching 35 feet above the takeoff surface, determined under Sec. 25.111 for a wet runway.
[(c) If the takeoff distance does not include a clearway, the takeoff run is equal to the takeoff distance. If the takeoff distance includes a clearway--
(1) The takeoff run on a dry runway is the greater of--
(i) The horizontal distance along the takeoff path from the start of the takeoff to a point equidistant between the point at which VLOF is reached and the point at which the airplane is 35 feet above the takeoff surface, as determined under Sec. 25.111 for a dry runway; or
(ii) 115 percent of the horizontal distance along the takeoff path, with all engines operating, from the start of the takeoff to a point equidistant between the point at which VLOF is reached and the point at which the airplane is 35 feet above the takeoff surface, determined by a procedure consistent with Sec. 25.111.
(2) The takeoff run on a wet runway is the greater of--
(i) The horizontal distance along the takeoff path from the start of the takeoff to the point at which the airplane is 15 feet above the takeoff surface, achieved in a manner consistent with the achievement of V2 before reaching 35 feet above the takeoff surface, as determined under Sec. 25.111 for a wet runway; or
(ii) 115 percent of the horizontal distance along the takeoff path, with all engines operating, from the start of the takeoff to a point equidistant between the point at which VLOF is reached and the point at which the airplane is 35 feet above the takeoff surface, determined by a procedure consistent with Sec. 25.111.]

If you read the entire section on calculating runway performance one will notice it is all based on worst case scenarios for which they build in conservatism for the pilot of avg skill. Everything is 105 to 115% of actual.

Your accelerate stop distance is based on failing the critical engine at V1. If you know you have all engines then you know your stopping power will stop you before what you calculated.

Maybe you have not noticed or cared, but most commercial aircraft rotate way before where the takeoff calculations told you it should.

Example: MD-80 has a balanced field length comperable to a 767 (~10600 ft @ MTOW 160K). I guarantee you, the MD-80 will accelerate to Vr, reject the takeoff, slam the brakes and full reverse and be stopped again in way less than 10,000 ft.

Rockhound,

If your pretty sure your going to die, I think they will try anything that helps regardless of what point of takeoff you are at.