PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MK Airlines B747 crash at Halifax
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2004, 17:41
mutt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
747FOCAL
Would you please give me the actual FAR reference for this Balanced Field Length is actually 115% of actual per the FARs

In this case the runway is 8100 ft or so long. That means there was anywhere from 1600 to 2000 ft of slop built into the takeoff calculation. This is so ludicrous that its not even funny!

Please refer to:
FAR 25-109
FAR 25-113

An aircraft manufacturer MAY build in a greater buffer than required by the FAR’s, however flight crews are not made aware of that buffer and therefore are not in a position to count on it!

The Boeing Jet Transport Performance Manual states that the B747-100/200/300 were certified using reaction times for Brake Application plus thrust reduction and the time increment from engine failure to spoiler activation. For certification, 1 second was added to each reaction time to account for in service delays in pilot reaction

Based on how Boeing certified that particular model of aircraft, I totally fail to see where you get the idea of a whole bunch of buffer/slop

We operate B747’s from FIELD LENGTH LIMITED runways at the RTOW, it is totally wrong to give the impression that there is 1600-2000 feet built into the takeoff calculation. That luxury doesn’t exist!

Mutt.