PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Paying for type-rating.
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2004, 08:33
yyzdub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you see paying for a type rating as being any different than paying for your ATPL's, Instrument rating, etc or simply NOT investing in your own future.

It's not an ideal situation where a pilot as to pay for a type rating and I for one, certainly don't want to do it but if it means the difference between a job and not having one, I take the job.

Forking out the money only furthers your career - at least if you have a conditional offer of employment I can't really understand those who go out and get a TR without any conditional offers, however I see no problem with those who are in a programme through the likes of Ryanair or Air Asia. How could you fault these people - they have the same passion as everyone else in the industry they are just fortunate to have access to the necessary funding.

Should paying for a TR have been the norm from the start there would not be an issue here. What if up until a few years ago carriers would pay for your ATPL studying or IR, would everyone here be of the mindset that we are "whoring" ourselves off by paying for these now?

Paying for TR adds to YOUR qualifications and resume not the airlines. It will help you in the future, not the airline. It will be an added benefit to you when you are leaving one company for another with a necessary TR. The whole thing comes full circle. As mentioned in a previous post here, by charging pilots for a TR allows for lower costs offered from the carrier to the end consumer.

I think, and understandably so, a lot of the resentment of paying for a type rating comes from those who are well qualified but do not have access to the money. Should this be the case then I agree 100% however if it is of the belief that we are "whoring" ourselves off - get real. By already paying an absorbant amount of money to get yourself to an ATPL level, how is it any different paying for a TR - other than the cost????

Don't get down on those willing to do whatever it takes to get a job - would it be any different in any other industry? Next thing you know people will be whining and winging about those who have contacts or know someone who knows someone in a carrier that can help them get a job - "wah wah wah, I don't know anyone and it's not fair b/c I have the qualifications and experience but someone less qualified than me got the job because he/she knows someone in the airline..."