PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Night Vision Goggles (NVG discussions merged)
Old 16th Nov 2004, 23:32
emergov

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Enhanced Operational Effectiveness

It seems to me the only people with reservations about flying NVG are those with no or minimal experience flying NVG. The thread so far has focussed on IF quals vs NVG qual / refit etc.

I think there are compelling operational reasons to use NVG, and focus training on IIMC recovery.

If companies and the pilots working for them are conducting police or EMS or other tasks at night VFR, then they must have a set of checks and balances in their ops manuals / SOP / CAR.

Not knowing those regulations, my gut feel is that a lot of those operating restrictions could be relaxed or removed if the crew use NVG. That is, either the same job could be done more safely, or more of a service could be provided. NVG ops are more analogous to day ops than to night (await storms of protest), so long as suitable legislation regarding weather and recovery plans are in place.

It is a furphy to say that NVG 'suckers' you into cloud. The fact is that you can actually see through thin layers of cloud on NVG, so it IS possible to go into cloud on dark nights with min ground references. The reality is that use of your searchlight, or any ambient illum enables you to see the cloud before you lose visual reference, and NVGs allow you to descend or turn away WITH visual reference. In the same situation NVFR you would go IIMC, or you wouldn't be there in the first place because of the wx.

As I said before, you can provide more of a service, more of the time on NVG.