PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Lingus resignations
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2004, 23:10
Idunno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mixed feelings about this myself.

He was ruthless in carrying out some of the more obvious moves that had to be made to bring the company back to profitability. There was no rocket science involved (to quote O'Leary) but somehow Willy fooled a lot of people into thinking that only HE could have done it. I'm often amazed at the naiivete of some of my fellow airline professionals!

Having been given carte blanche by the events of 9-11 to carry out the basic surgery required, he soon ran out of ideas when some vision was required. This has always been a trait of Semi-State Aer Lingus management (of which Willy is a product).

Success could have generated tremendous goodwill among the Staff, but Willy has always suffered from poor people skills and didn't know how to tap into it, or when to drop the ice cold facade he turns to the world to protect his fragile ego. Just ask any of the people in upper management - if you know them well enough they'll confide that he's an extremely disliked man even at their level.

Rather than motivation by encouragement or reward - both marks of good leadership - Willy style is one of antagonism and division.
He will not be missed on a personal level.

On the other hand, his myth is such that his departure will indeed colour the opinions of the money men who might have backed his management team and invested in Aer Lingus. Its now up to the government to stop dragging their heels and come up with the money...or a plan to get it.
I'm not hopeful.

There is one more aspect to this which I'm not happy with.
He has 'resigned' but remains in place until May?
This may indeed be another turn of the screw to force a decision by the government on fleet expansion monies.
But if they have accepted his resignation, and it really IS final, I think its untenable that he remains in his job for 6 months.
The rumours are already doing the rounds that he is getting involved in another project which will compete with Aer Lingus.
At the very least we can expect to see him join a competitor.
Meanwhile he has his hands in the till and in the machinery of ALT.

This is a clear conflict of interest!

He already got away with that once (the failed MBO suggestion) and now he's at it again?

I think he should GO NOW.

As General De Gaulle once said 'The graveyards are full of indespensible men'.

Last edited by Idunno; 16th Nov 2004 at 23:39.