PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Requirements for pax armrests to be down on takeoff/landing
Old 16th Nov 2004, 18:28
DerekWarrior1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Several years ago I was on aflight from Nairobi to Heathrow on a 747 classic. I was surrounded, sideways and back and front, by several huge guys (who later, it transpired, were mercenaries returning from some obscure African unpleasantness). It was impossible for me to get the armrest down or get my backside fully into the seat (I am 6'4" short myself but was dwarfed by these blokes). My wife called the attendant and made a bit of a fuss but we were told that if we continued to complain we would be off- loaded. We took off with my rear end jammed halfway out of the seat and my seatbelt undone. Later my wife complained so bitterly that we were moved to business class where we were treated like lepers. The company was BA and I have not flown long haul with them since. We have flown worldwide on numerous carriers but have never been treated with such contempt. Also, as a PPL I was staggered by their lack of safety concerns. On return to the UK I contacted BA in writing and expressed my concerns but did not even recieve the courtesy of a reply.

Del