PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Paying for type-rating.
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2004, 14:12
df1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with dmmd.

What if you are highly motivated and fit, have the basic quals and simply can not afford to fork out for the type rating? Potentially you have lost a lot of job prospects and I don't think that is fair.
Well, just like any other industry, you prospects are related to your employablility. Your employablility is directly related to your experience and qualifications. The better they are the better your chance (unless you have another trick up your sleeve!!). If you have to invest in "further" training (just like you did with getting a CPL in the first place!) then so be it.

I have never paid for a type rating in my life and don't suggest than anyone else pay for one either.
This may be so, but what if you were just completing now and having a type rating meant the difference between getting a job and not - would you invest?? No? Fine 'cos someone else has/will!

I don't advocate anyone running up a debt on what is effectively a huge gamble but if it were a business that you were running you might have to make similar sacrifices to be ahead of the competition! Being an employable pilot is no different - you make commercial decisions as you always have with your training and always will with your career! The airline market finds it's level. If there are, as some of you say, a large pool of pilots at their disposal thay can afford to be picky. Picky might mean having 10,000 hrs PIC or it could mean a type rating - picky is in the eye of the beholder.

I was told that many moons ago even paying for your own flight training was was a "taboo". In any case our industry has changed - and so should we. But, if you can avoid paying for a type rating then well done that man/woman!

df1

Last edited by df1; 16th Nov 2004 at 14:25.