PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - problem with pprune email
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2004, 11:22
Carrier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Richard & Danny, Thanks for the replies. We have established that the problem is definitely not related to the Internet cafe or even to the Internet cafe’s ISP.

Early this morning I went back to the Internet cafe and tried again. Again I could receive emails but was unable to send them. Each time I tried to send an email I would get the response below. Note that this page apparently comes back from Everyone.net!

Compose
Get Rid of Ads • Get Rid of Spam & Viruses • Get In Sync • Get Extra Storage
Your email was NOT sent. The following problem(s) occurred: · Your ISP is blacklisted for providing internet access to "419" scam artists.

Web Search

Copyright © Everyone.net(TM) and The Professional Pilots RUmour NEtwork. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Service. Privacy Policy.

I saved the page onto the computer I was using, along with the opening page from the link given. I also copied this thread with Richard’s first and second replies and showed all to the staff at the Internet cafe. They then called their ISP and explained the problem. I also spoke to someone there. His suggestion was to first establish if the problem was located at the Internet cafe by trying to send emails at another Internet cafe. This would have been impossible four months ago as we only had one Internet cafe. Now there are three. I walked along to Internet cafe 2 and tried to send my emails. I received the same response. I asked them which ISP they use and found it is a different ISP from the one used by Internet cafe 1. This problem is not at a particular Internet cafe or at a particular ISP here. I am located in Africa, and for the record am nowhere near Nigeria.

I wondered about a virus. My anti-virus and the different anti-virus program at Internet cafe 1 are both current. In any case I do not see how a virus could affect just the sending of PPRuNe Email. Everyone else at both Internet cafes has no problem sending emails by anything other than PPRuNe Email. I normally take my emails to the Internet cafe on a floppy disk and bring the received emails back on the same floppy. I wondered if that was part of the problem. Note that yesterday one of the staff sat at another computer and sent me a test email, using Yahoo. When she advised it had been sent I logged on to PPRuNe Email and received it. I then clicked on reply, typed a couple of words, and tried to send it back to her. I got the same result, this time without a floppy being involved.

Danny has confirmed that PPRuNe email does not go through the PPRuNe server. Thanks Danny, and my apology for suspecting it. The only common item left is Everyone.net. It seems that they are blocking emails from numerous ISPs in Africa. This seems to be confirmed by the fact that the “NOT sent” page comes back with their name at the bottom. Perhaps some ISPs are used by people who distribute scam emails. However, there are many Ppruners in Africa, like me, who are not part of any scam. I fail to see why we should be cut off for someone else’s sins. It seems Everyone.net is using a Nazi “shoot the whole village in reprisal” response to email scams!

Danny, as I am unable to send Everyone.net an email, which is the whole issue, I will be grateful if you would contact them and ask them to ensure that all Ppuners in Africa, whichever ISP they use, are able to send emails through PPRuNe email.