PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC Radio Scanners and all that
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2004, 14:38
Jerricho
Ohcirrej

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If listening in is so horrendously bad, then make it illegal to buy the means to do so and ban everyone who asks about it here.
That whole statement is no where near the basis to form an argument. Is your car limited to 70 mph? Can you download music from the internet using Kazaa? I don't believe you intended to cause offence, however, I don't really think you have objectively look at it from the other side.

Personally, I have not the slightest problem with spotters/enthusiats using a scanner. What get's under some people skins is the whole fact that some of the things that can and will be heard ARE sensitive, or can quite easily be taken out of context. I believe the law states that what is heard shall not be recorded or repeated to anyone. Yet, some of the questions that pop up here just shouldn't be asked, and they stem purely from from something heard over a scanner. That thread I linked above is a prime example. Also the whole "Oh, I heard/saw a go-around at where ever" has been thrashed to death many times. Ever read the next day in a newspaper an event you were involved in, with information that could only have been gained from a scanner in there, that was written about a totally standard procedure, IE a go-around. I have.

I guess the crux of the matter is what's being done with what's being heard. Like this very medium, perception of what is actually being presented can vary from individual, and misunderstandings can occur. Someone who rips on here after hearing an operator declaring a TCAS RA and starts asking quesions is going to be met with a little opposition.

And don't for one minute think I am sitting here with a holier than thou, superiority complex. I'm happy to sit and talk about aviation all day. I love answering questions, as well as asking them. I've still got a lot to learn, and you only really learn by asking questions...........intelligent ones.

Last edited by Jerricho; 15th Nov 2004 at 14:51.