PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flash Airlines B737 Crash in Egypt
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2004, 18:55
blackmail

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
flash 8 & other fellow pilots,

latest news from paris: a slat nr1 staying in "ext" during flap retraction( indication confirmed by the flightdata recorder) may have compounded the problems of engaging the autopilot & may explain the right bank tendency of the airplane. it does not explain why the crew does not take over manual control when the autopilot is disconnected, but instead tries over & over again to find a solution by attempting to reengage the autopilot to no avail. sorry for flash8, but this is certainly not crm behavior as we understand it. crm= crew ressource management or cockpit ressource management as you like it or 1+1=3, here 1+1=0. nobody is flying the aircraft. & no bias whatsoever, but tell me what prevented the f/o to take control after 2 warnings of "overbank" were unheeded by the captain except a possible cultural barrier &/or a lack of experience on the plane ( both capt & f/o had 715 hrs together on the 737)?

for info this slat problem was known before departure as evidenced by discussions in the cockpit cfr voice transcripts by the captain & a technician.

the french & egyptian authorities are trying to hide the truth by publishing a "preliminary" report of over 435 pages plus or minus a few, 95% irrelevant,uncomprehensible to the general public, whereas the causes & the clues of what really happened could be summarized in about 20 pages. if my memory is correct the essentials are to be found in page 192,193.

and flash8, don't say viva la france: i am not french, but i agree that french authorities have a great part of responsibility in this tragedy by allowing this flight to have taken place in the first place & if you are fed up i feel sorry for you.