PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Night Vision Goggles (NVG discussions merged)
Old 14th Nov 2004, 06:49
Kalif

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TC,

"Kalif has never flown new gen police a/c...all his police time was with the AS355 which never had slaving as an option??? "

Oh dear, wrong answer yet again!
Seems that you have a bit of personal problem with me.
I have flown new gen police a/c with slaving. If you like I can give you the details of a reputable company that provides crm or anger management courses. Let's keep things to the point of the discussion...

Back to the original thread, and I say yet again, I'm not against NVGs, just trying to promote discussion.

Take this situation, one I've seen on several instances.
Police pilot operating out in a very dark night over countryside with few nearby external references. In the orbit on task, eyes totally outside of the cockpit with the nitesun being used. Very quickly the aircrafts AoB increases and the rate of descent builds up due to target fixation. Good old rad alt warning or crew prevents CFIT. Non IR pilot not scanning the instruments and totally outside of the cockpit.
Now put goggles on him and do the same again, possibly down at the suggested 500 ft agl. By having the goggles on he will naturally get drawn into the ground situation because that's where his eyes will be, outside. No instrument scan, rat alt warning kicks off to get his eyes off goggles and back where they should be. Training and currency will prevent this, but the risk does increase quite steeply.

HeliMark

"Maybe having someone on board that is not using the NVG's. Or going off NVG and looking, then proceeding to a next established point."

Good point, something along what I've been saying.

TC, stop it before you start....

Last edited by Kalif; 14th Nov 2004 at 07:04.