PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near collision at Manchester due to distracted controller
Old 13th Nov 2004, 20:19
DFC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nigel,

I was making the point that if the AAIB were of the opinion that the taxi speed had a direct bearing on the incident then they should have made a safety recomendation regarding that. They chose not to and consequently, they have left the status quo i.e. pilots will taxi fast in certain cases and especially when encouraged to do so in order to please ATC and thus avoid delay.

Yes I believe that in this one case, the taxi speed in this case was a factor. Imaging you are travelling at 33Kt towards the runway having been told to expedite and are told to cross..........you look left and right..........but for how long are you focused in each direction and for that brief glance is there enough time to recognise that the aircraft you are looking at (with no lights?) is accelerating..........or could that aircraft be the other lander that ATC are expediting you ahead of and who is not taking off but taxiing................I don't think that there was enough time available at that speed for the pilot to even notice that the aircraft glanced at was moving.

However, the report leaves the reader to make up their own mind........which means that some people will get the message and some will not.
-------

gashcan,

The Ryanair left 30 minutes later without saying a word on the R/T......probably because there was little point telling a different controller that their friend had mucked up........ranting on the R/T after an incident is over is similar to people gesticulating under road rage........not very professional.

A possible reason for the MYT leaving late was that they had to wait that long for the CVR to be downloaded, brakes checked etc.

Ryanair had no reason for delaying the passengers.........other than waiting to have a row with the controller

-----

Of course, the Ryanair aircraft was fully visible to the pilots of the MYT and they had the same oportunity as the Ryanair pilot to recognise the location, ATC clearance issued and speed of the conflicting aircraft......but they accelerated and continued to do so until above 100Kt........they had the same responsibilities as the Ryanair pilot with regard to making sure the clearance issued by ATC was safe.....and they did the same thing as the Ryanair pilot they complied with their clearance because they didn't expect ATC to make a mistake.......They stopped.

What the report does not deal with is what would have happened if the MYT had continued to accelerate........i.e. it would have been close but because of the speed of the Ryanair it would have (just) got across the runway in time?............what if the Ryanair had ben travelling slower and the MYT did not pick up the slow roll into it't path?.........remember that wing-tip and SD360 accident in Paris?

What if the Ryanair had slowed and stopped at the runway edge?

This report causes more questions that answers!

Regards,

DFC