PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Scandalous Pay
Thread: Scandalous Pay
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2004, 18:41
MercenaryAli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much do you think a new F/O worth?

It seems to me that one should be please to be flying a Dash 8 or whatever and pleased to be able to sit in the right seat and learn something from the Commander in the left seat who has vastly more experience. Never heard of "apprentiship?"

It is not so many years ago that as a Captain flying a two crew DHC-6 Twin Otter the Captains were making just £7500 p.a with an extra £1000 p.a allowance for being in Aberdeen (which was rather expensive)

Your time will come when you will move into a left seat (if you listen and learn) and when that time comes you will be remunerated justly as the Aircraft Commander, meanwhile accept the fact that you are the co-pilot not the commander. If you do not want to work for this kind of money then I suggest either another career or perhaps do what many of my friends and colleagues do in US, take a part time job to subsidise your "apprentiship".

Nobody forces you to become a pilot, it it a llittle like becoming a Priest, takes fortitude, application, hard work and dedication for which you will be paid little in the begining. The priest however will always be on crap money so hang on in there and when you are sat in the left seat of your 777 or whatever remember the guy sat next to you on your right is "poor" so buy him a coffee and donut from time to time.

A newly qualified doctor is paid less than you has far more responsibility than you and works longer hours so quit moaning and either "shape up or ship out"!