PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lost FAT32
Thread: Lost FAT32
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2004, 17:39
E-Liam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lost FAT32

Hi all,

It had to happen, I'm after a bit of help meself now..

First off the techy bits..

PIII 500
786mB RAM
Win98 Plus!
Mobo ASUS i440BX-P2B-00

The C: drive is fine, but after a crash, the D and E drives no longer have a file system.. ie. they no longer show as FAT32 ( I think that's the main problem anyway). None of the inboard software recognises their existence except to show their tags in My Computer., and so I can't read or write to either.

I've booted into DOS, and they aren't there. I did the usual DIR, CHKDSK, SCANDISK with no luck.

Is there a nice simple way to give back the file allocation to the disc, perhaps a little script on a floppy I can insert on boot? (It's never gonna be that easy of course.

I'm not too fussed about getting back the stuff on D:, it just had programs on. I would like though if possible to recover the data on E:. Nothing life threatening there either, but a lot of documents backed up off an old (and now formatted, and used by my mum) computer.

When the crash happened, I firstly went back to an old restore point, and defaulted the BIOS. In the end, I copied SYS C: from a boot disk. Probably too much remedy there..

Any ideas, before i cock it up any further?

Cheers

Liam