PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Night Vision Goggles (NVG discussions merged)
Old 13th Nov 2004, 08:12
semirigid rotor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cost, cost, everbody talks about the cost of an IR, what about the cost of converting our machines to be NVG compatable? Makes an IR look like small change. If you have an agreement with your local IF approach airport, so that you can make some approaches during there quiet periods, you'll be surprised how you can negotiate on the price.

I'll admit that I'm not the most experienced NVG pilot in the world, but speaking to those who do have a lot of NVG time-most don't enjoy flying NVG but in the military world there is no option, it can sucker you in to flying in worse conditions than you would accept if you where visual, and finally if they stop working the sudden transition back to visual flight in poor weather, low level makes the palms sweaty for a short period.

I think Devon & Cornwall have it about right, NVG for the rural areas and an IF to back it up. As they fly both could someone from the SW care to throw their hat in the ring and gives us the benefit of their experiences?