PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near collision at Manchester due to distracted controller
Old 13th Nov 2004, 05:57
NigelOnDraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DFC
.....is no more than that - waffle and has no place in a factual report
I disagree. I read the AAIB bulletins carefully, and you will be surprised how many little bits of "waffle" (as you call them) they contain. I read them as sound airmanship "observations", and some I have not thought of previously, and modify my behaviour accordingly.

I work for an operator where airmanship is somewhat of a dirty word... we are all urged to make great efforts in certain directions, but constructive feedback between departments is not possible due to "politics". It is great when an AAIB report highlights a "point" - it can be used as an example, and for me anyway, fills in some of the holes that our operator chooses not to.

Read this report again. Apart from the dig at Ryanair's taxi speed (a reputation as well! justified?), that Ryanair may or may not take on board, the lesson is that ATC need to be careful of altering their SOPs to "accommodate" such practices (Lufty don't exactly hang around either). There are also digs about lights on for takeoff (Airtours.. were they on?), people changing to a frequency and transmitting before listening, and the failure of the Ryanair Captain to see the Airbus before he entered the runway (made all the more difficult by the speed at which he was taxing).