PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Groan at a Loan - How do people do it?
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2004, 16:43
Birky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear G SXTY...

Gosh, it is easy to sound controversial on Pprune even when you don't intend to. No controversy intended. I agree that one would be insane to 'expose' oneself to huge debts if one hadn't thought about worst case scenarios.

Dear Flying Farmer and G SXTY...

Just for clarity, my worst case scenarios are as follows (and in this order):

1. Being 65 and kicking myself for never having attempted to fly commercially....something I have wanted to do since being a boy. I'm still contributing to PPRUNE though. Oh my God...unimaginably depressing.

2. Being 42 (and having borrowed ALL the money to do it) and am now without any flying job at all because I was considered too old at all the interviews. I am now in debt to the tune of around £100,000. Utter nightmare.

3. Same as above except I have saved HALF the money and BORROWED the other half. I still have no job to show for it and am now in debt to the tune of £50,000. Half an utter nightmare.

4. I am now 44 (having taken two years to save the money and another two to pass the courses). I have saved ALL the money to learn to fly but I still have no job for the same reasons as above. I am not in debt but I feel pretty cheated and my wife has divorced me as a result of all the rows about wasted money. Er, pretty grim.

5. I am 44 and have saved ALL the money to learn to fly. I have a paid flying job but the salary is ****E. I feel resentful toward my employer and the industry for undervaluing me so much. I kick the cat a lot. Rough, but not the end of the world.

6. I am 44. I have saved ALL the money to learn to fly. I have a paid flying job and the money is OK but not earth shattering. I spend the next 20 years of my life pottering about the skies, earning a reasonable living and not owing anyone a penny. Happy chappy!

In other words, I have no rose tinted specs on. I know how much I'm up against.

Ultimately, I reckon that if you can save all or most of it (rather than borrow it) then it's not going to feel like life-and-death either way.

(One thing I don't know for sure is how much LESS employable I would be at 44 with a paid for licence than at 42 with one I've borrowed all the money for. Interesting topic perhaps?)

Dear Blinkz...

...regarding mod vs integrated...

My point was this; if you're going to risk a huge amount of money, then it may as well be on training that is:

respected by the airlines
targeted at the airlines
examinable by the airlines

Don't you think? It seems to me that modular training falls down somewhat on those three key areas. I'm only repeating the feedback I have had from a lot of sources. Would you or anyone else agree?

Dear Redsnail...

I agree. You're right, I'm wrong. There are some really badly paid jobs out there. Does anyone know of a website with a good cross section of UK airline salary scales (that are current)?

----------------------

Last edited by Birky; 12th Nov 2004 at 17:21.