PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Swimming In The BA Pool?
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2004, 09:22
Lost For Words

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unexpected Type Changes...

Just getting back to the issue which seems to be worrying quite a few of you: Expecting to start on LH and being shunted to another type.

Well, that sort of thing happenned to me post 9/11 and I admit that I was lucky to end up back on LH after only 2 years. For the guys with start dates early next year, things are different and here is why:

The B777 fleet is currently very short of F/Os and the training system is expecting something like 43 F/Os before July. BA would not be recruiting DEP's onto LH unless they really had to. DEP's tend to be a higher training risk and experience is accrued more slowly.

There are many SH F/Os who are annoyed at being stuck where they are since they too would like LH. What's worse is that post 2006, the chance of a SH to LH move will be smaller as everything will tend to stagnate for a while.
In summary, if you have an early start date Jan-Mar, I think things are looking good for you. Any later and you should keep your eye on the situation. It can change pretty quickly!
Once you start type training, I would give you a 90% chance of staying on that fleet.

LFW