PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-76: Ask Nick Lappos
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2004, 07:56
Mr Toad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Say Again?

By the way, don't forget it's when the noise stops you have start worrying...
The most painful sound level is in the front row left hand seat of the cabin; the cockpit is not quite so close to the 'box. Some guys use Bose noise attenuating sets and swear by them, but they're not cheap.

None of the Utility models is quiet; I understand the VIP versions are quite different; and they don't even vibrate. Funnily enough manufacturers are shy of cockpit noise level figures, possibly constrained by their lawyers. I once asked for the cockpit noise levels in the AS 330L from the visting sales team; I'm surprised I ever worked again. But then I also flew the Chinook with early Clark headsets and we had a major fight to get our company to appreciate the problem - I recall that NASA did some research with us on the loss of human performance after 5-6 hours of sitting underneath so much angry machinery. The results were never made public as I believe it was paid for by a certain oil major and considered private. The ATCOs at ABZ were quite accustomed to our request to say again our inbound clearances.

Most of us had our hearing checked and found that we could still pass our medicals as the hearing test didn't pick up the problem; actually we were suffering a loss of noise discrimination. Two people talking together, no hearing problem; go to the pub and you can't understand anybody, especially when they call time. So we kept practising.

So keep up the campaign to force recognition of this Health and Safety issue; I wish you all better luck than the "old" generation.