PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Brevet requirements
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2004, 13:55
Spacer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ladies and Gents: Apologies for being away, but hello to anyone that I know! Anyway, I was having a chat the other day with a certain AEF pilot, who has drafted this reply to the topic of the VR brevet:

"I have read with much amusement the comments written about the VR flying badges/Brevets lately. Sometime before 1989 there must have been a shortage of QFIs on the AEF/UASs around the country. Adverts were placed in the aviation press for Civilian Senior Instructors to join the RAFVR in the rank of Flt Lt, but employed by the Civil Service as Senior Instruction Officers, to work on the UASs as instructors and command AEFs. The requirements were a fully civvy instructor rating with at least an IMC rating. The candidates had to attend and pass an interview before a board consisting of a Civil Servant (Personnel), an RAF Officer, and a HQAC representative. The venue was MOD in Whitehall. The few that passed were eventually sent to RAFC Cranwell to do the Tarts and Vicars course. After that they were sent to RAF Scampton to complete two CFS refresher courses back to back followed by the Flight Safety and Flight Supervisors courses. Only one passed and he was sent to command No 12 AEF at Turnhouse. He spent the first two years flying without any sort of brevet, but he was eventually presented with his VR wings at Cranwell. He is still the only civilian wearing these wings to this day! 1000 of the Senior Instructor Officer Brevets were manufactured (complete with NATO stock number), and all for him!"

So, people, there we have the definitive answer from the man himself