PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Excel B767 and bmibaby B737 collision at Manchester
Old 11th Nov 2004, 13:50
sharpshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not current with MAN, other than looking at aerodrome charts. We have heard the argument about being cleared to a holding point and you might be number xx in the queue; so, in turn, you eventually make it to the hold without further ATC instruction.

I presume the 767 was cleared via V to another Hold point. What was ahead of the 767 on V? Therefore, excepting the arguments put forward, one might assume that V was clear, subject any traffic ahead on V itself....not on S.

Assuming 24R was the landing runway and the 767 had crossed 24R, where did it physically have to get to (tail in particular, bearing in mind the height), to clear the ILS critical area?

If any of this relates to the fact, was there in fact any space for the 767 on the south side of 24R to have been cleared to, bearing in mind the location of the 737? If not, perhaps you need to go back and ask why it was cleared to cross in the first place.

I have seen incidents in the past that relate to ATC clearances and inappropriate use of hold bars. I once saw an aircraft vacate the active following an emergency stopping the wrong side of a uni-directional runway stop bar and disgorge pax whilst the rwy remained active.