PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Go-around performance requirements??
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2004, 11:04
FullWings

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I brought up the SE GA scenario in the SE thread because I have met so many different opinions on the subject. The variation in replies would seem to confirm the general level of uncertainty in this area!

I (partially) remember why I brought this up: A long time ago I was operating into a medium-sized airfield in Portugal (could have been Spain?) and was idly considering the GA procedure. It all looked fine on one engine until you were clean, then you were left going up a valley with no real safe way out. I vaguely remember the published missed approach going out to some altitude on a radial then returning to the field. On one engine it looked like you would unable to turn back for some considerable time and then be so far up a valley there were almost no options left.

We had a bit of a think about what we might do in such a scenario (unlikely as it was.). In the end we thought it would be better to manoeuvre close to the airport, inside our circling radius, and depart in the direction of a more friendly missed approach for another runway.

It was a pretty academic exercise but it got me thinking about what was/wasn't checked/regulated in terms of SE missed approaches. I have to admit I'm still not sure now, even though I do a couple every six months in the sim. I think most training is too 'generic' to cover 'esoteric' points like this...