PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EFATO - Turn back?
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2000, 02:57
ShyTorque

Unhappy

If the vertical impact is surviveable the horizontal needs to be also.

Consider a light aircraft that would touch down at 55 kts IAS. If there is a 15 kt wind on your unlucky day your "straight ahead" groundspeed will be 40 kts. A landing downwind would give you a groundspeed of 70 kts...I know which I would prefer, V squared and all that.

How often have you practised downwind landings on a runway, let alone elsewhere? Best you are certain of making a successful turn into a clear area for touchdown and the subsequent ground assisted deceleration. A fencepost between the legs will hurt at any speed...

Speaking as an ex-mil QFI previously required to practise these once a month..a turnback may always be considered but in reality it is a "no alternative" manoeuvre only. We were not allowed to fly these to touchdown in the Bulldog (although they were allowed in the Hawk for a "roller" only. Are they still? If not, someone will no doubt have stuffed one up. Didn't this result in a Hawk fatal at Chivenor?). I have flown some for practice that would, for real, no doubt have resulted in my not being in a position to recount the tale due to poor touchdown options...you can't always make the runway, just the airfield.

This is the reason for that old saying "nothing so useless as the runway behind you" and why we were all taught to use the the full length of it for departure.

------------------
Fly safe!