PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What happens after fATPL
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2004, 09:54
traumahawk71

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As you mentioned there are lots of threads on this subject. This is by no way a difinitive answer but does contain at least some ideas for you

Do you have the minimum requirements to start your fATPL, i.e. PPL and 100 hours.

After the fATPL the fun bit begins where you start spending loads of money getting all the required ratings CPL, IR, mulit-engine, night rating and finally the MCC course.
All this can be achieved within a few months or a few years depending on your situation. Does work allow you to take a few weeks off at a time or will you only have weekends.
Remember never ever pay up front to any organisation.

Staying current is again down to the individuals. I have heard that airlines like to see at least 50 hours flown a year.

Clubbing together to buy a light aircraft is one method. Some aircraft owners have formed their own clubs around their aircraft where you pay a monthly fee and the flying is fairly cheap. One such club by me was £40 a month and then £40 for each flying hour.
Some people save their cash and then have two or three week holiday in the US for example and fly intensively then. Good way of getting cheap twin time compared to this country.
Getting an Instructor rating is another route lots of people will take. This will allow you to keep your current job and instruct on weekends or instruct on a full time basis. As an example in just one year of full time instructing i have managed to build up between 700 - 800 hours. The pay is not that great though so be warned.

As for hours required that all depends on the individual airline but is mainly influenced by Supply and demand factors. Not uncommon for airlines to request at least 1000 hours for modular route or 300 - 400 for intergrated route. (see bacitiexpress). Twin time does seem more appealing and that tends to be in the region of 100+ hours.

The main thing to remember is there are lots of pilots out there in a similar situation and that its up to you to make you're CV and flying experience stand out from the rest.

Hope this is useful TH71