PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EFATO - Turn back?
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2000, 23:16
212man

Thumbs up

I have not read the report, but have saved it to digest later.

However, I have contributed several times on other forums, on this topic and it is difficult to get reasoned response.

I was taught the turn back technique in the eighties while flying Bulldogs on a UAS ( sorry the UAS!). It was not taught as a matter of routine, but to those more advanced (able?) students whom the instructors felt comfortable teaching it to. The instructors were taught it formally and were tested on it during annual 'trappers' trips.

The first thing to bear in mind is that it is a pre-briefed decision, based on the upwind obstacle situation. It is not a robotic response. As I recall, the brief, if it were decided to include a turnback, would be along the lines of this;

"Engine failure up to 200', land straight ahead. Between 200 and 450', land within 30 degrees of runway heading. Above 450' turn back to the left/right (into any cross-wind)"

The aim is not to necessarily land on the reciprocal runway, but to arrive on the aerodrome, where rescue services are at hand, and ripping the wheels off may be a better option than arriving in the master bedroom of 23 Acacia avenue.

The technique was as follows (I recall)

Immediately lower the nose to maintain 80 KIAS (Vy) and simultaneously roll 45 degrees of bank in the pre-briefed direction.

Do the above using instruments to ensure accuracy, and stay on instruments.

Select inter flap and pull to just nibble the light buffet= max rate of turn for min energy loss.

After 90 degrees of turn, look out to assess likely landing area and concentrate on the landing.

If time permits carry out shut down checks.

Initially the technique was practised at altitude, till perfected, then practised in anger at 450-500'. The lower DA made it easier, which helped.

A student doing this would be very current in aerobatics and spin (full, up to 8 turns) recovery, so would be well up to speed with handling the a/c close to the stall. This was aided by the fact that the stall warner was disabled to teach the student to really feel the true stages of stalling, rather than relying on a pathetic whining somewhat prematurely.

I would not recommend a PPL doing a turnback when confronted by a suprise EFATO and never having practised the technique.

Fortunately, I never had to use it for real, but our CFI had occasion to when a student selected fuel to off in the climb out. He turned back from 350' and landed in some heather resulting in Cat 2 damage. The alternative would have been a forest. QED

[This message has been edited by 212man (edited 05 April 2000).]