PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EFATO - Turn back?
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2000, 22:23
Acker Demick

Question EFATO - Turn back?

Has anybody else seen this web page on turnback manoeuvres?It basically claims that if PPL's are taught the right strategy to fly, they stand a good chance of making a successful turnback following EFATO. OK, we all know that the golden rule, at least in civil pilot training, is never turn back, but..... there are places where landing ahead is a pretty unattractive option (sea, woods, urban etc.). I've tried the turn as recommended on the web site (45 deg bank, ball in middle, close to stall as judged by stall warner) in a C150 (as an upper-air exercise). I typically lose 200 to 250ft for a 210deg heading change, and nothing bad has happened so far. I'm not planning to practice this low down, but if I were faced with a real EFATO at, say, 500ft agl with nowhere nice to land ahead, I think I would be tempted to try my hand.

I'd be interested to hear what you think. Reasoned answers rather than flaming preferred (flameproof pants in the wash ). It would be particularly interesting to hear from anyone who has turned back successfully following a real EFATO. I understand that RAF pilots get taught this method anyway, but the average skill level is obviously higher than in the PPL pilot population.

AD

------------------
If God had meant us to fly he would have given us more money