PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Excel B767 and bmibaby B737 collision at Manchester
Old 10th Nov 2004, 23:51
MOR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cargo boy

it is totally wrong to assume, as MOR has done, that just because you are cleared to a particular holding point doesn't mean that you are able to reach that holding point unhindered.
I'm not saying it DOES, I'm saying it SHOULD.

By the way, the real reason you don't want to answer the four questions, is that you don't have the answers.

Arkroyal

tell me how the captain was supposed to see what was behind him, and being cleared, in french, to begin its take off roll, whilst the same controller had cleared, in english, the shed to line up.
And you call yourself a professional? So, according to you, our 767 captain is at fault because he didn't ensure that he could pass the 737, but your mate, who made no effort to check that the active runway was clear, is not?

The facts are that it is easy, in a shed, to turn enough to check the runway is clear whilst staying within the bounds of the taxiway. In an aircraft that size, you can easily park yourself at the hold at an angle to ensure that you can see. I used to do that in a 146 for gods sake. Knowing that the runway is clear is one of the most basic pieces of airmanship there is, especially when joining the runway at an intermediate hold.

Language was an issue, but the real issue was not looking - plain and simple.

Since we now apparently qualify the causes of accidents according to who you know and who you don't, I will - in some disgust - leave you to it.