PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which country for training?
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2004, 23:37
Barotrauma

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PhilJ,

Having done my PPL(H) in the U.K, I did a lot of research into where was the best and most cost effective place to do my APTL(H).
I unfortunately came to 2 conflicting conclusions...
1. As the industry in the U.K. is so insular I would have better contacts and therefore better job prospects if I chose to continue my training in the U.K.
2. The overall training cost is considerably less outside of the U.K.

I chose to come over to the states because after talking to many in the industry they said that HAI was, along with a couple in the U.K. , one of the best schools around and nowhere in the U.K. could match their prices.

Since arriving my original plan of going back to the U.K ASAP has had to be changed due to the fact that nowhere seems to want to employ newly qualified commercial pilots. I am therefore now doing the FAA commercial/instructors course in order to build hours before heading home. My fear of not getting my face known to potential UK employers has subsided somewhat as I
am now at a school that has a truely international reach.
On the whole graduates do not find much trouble finding work.

In reply to your JAA vs FAA - 2 different systems that produce the same result- i.e if the level of instruction and final exam is good then you will become a good pilot.

Hope that helps,
Barotrauma.