PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which country for training?
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2004, 23:27
copterfamily

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree. I took my PPl in the UK and then did all the FAA stuff at HAI. Having qualified, I am now working in the US in a school flying brand new helciopters and with over 600 hrs will probably end up with over 1000 by the time the J1 is over.
Don't let cynics tell you that HAI is all marketing hype - actually, they are very forthright and honest, and try hard not to be misleading in any way.
Of course HAI only employ one in every 10 students - how many ships do you think they have? (they do have 70 odd students at any one time.) At least HAI isn't promising anyone any jobs. They do help you find one though.

If you are considering doing the JAA at HAI concider this - after 14? months you'll have a frozen JAA ATPL and only 135 hours of flight time. When you return to the UK what job can you get - squat. You don't even have the QFI. Why not go to the US, do the FAA right through to CFII, work for a year and return to the UK if you wish and convert to JAA if you want. At least you'll have the 1000 hours.

Having done FAA and JAA I consider there to be little difference - FAA radio work is a little less strict - but apart from that you'll be just as good an instructor doing the FAA route.
Job opportunities are actually pretty good in the US for CFI's as well - and not in schools where you'll only fly 2 hours a week either.

With all the vietnam pilots retiring there is a massive demand for helo pilots in the US and so the interest and student numbers are really high. Therefore demand for CFI's is also high, and the hours at each school pretty good for the most part.

Went to an FAA safety seminar last night and they talked about how the FAA and the CAA/JAA are all in negotiations for a "world license" which means that in not too distant a future any license will do - FAA or JAA in any country - and the only ones who will be cheesed off at that are the ones that paid the most for it......ie: not the FAA ones.

Finally there is absolutely no way anyone can say that living and studying in the UK will work out cheaper than in the US. It is simply a falicy. Living costs etc are extremely cheap, fuel is cheap and training is half the cost in the UK. Coupled with that the fact that the weather is never really too poor to fly - your training time is shortened massivly - how many UK schools are flight training for 340 days of the year - None. At this time of year most are usually fog bound till noon, and then the rain sets in.