PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Night Vision Goggles (NVG discussions merged)
Old 10th Nov 2004, 23:22
Mike Tavcar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I noticed a reply mentioning the Victoria Police Air Wing in Melbourne Australia and their NVG Trial.

Well anyway I'm the guy who organised and ran it 2 years ago now. I have been pushing CASA since 1996 for use of NVGs with stiff opposition that defies logic. But since the trial CASA has certainly become more positive and a CMI (Compliance Management Instruction) has been drafted and refined that will pave the way for NVG use by those who comply with the requirements. I am waiting for the beauracratic wheels to turn to ruber stamp the CMI. I hope!

For those who want to explore the trial in more detail and learn the benefits of aided flight I wrote a detailed report on the NVG trial and is available for download from: www.simflight.com.au/Post_NVG_Trial.htm
It is a declassified pdf file of 421KB

The report goes into depth also on Cockpit mod and ANVIS 9 (ITT F4949 goggles)

For those who have used ANVIS 9 don't need convincing....those who have not or have used older generation stuff then you need to be properly informed because modern NVGs will have an imense impact on improving night flying safety as well as efficiency to do the job. Years from now pilots will look back on us and say, "How come those idiots took so long to get NVGs into civil aviation...they must of been nuts to procrastinate for so long"