PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EH101 Merlin
Thread: EH101 Merlin
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2004, 13:29
Tynecastle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay folks, I think its time to get a hold of your emotions.
Everyone in the Helicpopter industry has complained that the biggest problem we have over the years is winning over the General Puplic , I hope the GP aren't reading this thread, it will put them off helicopters for life.
Offcourse the EH 101 is having problems, is it any different from any other new helicopter?
The 76 is a great offshore helicopter these days, but it wasn't always, was it ? rememeber spindles departing, blades departing, damper lugs breaking off, under powered engines, maintenance on them in the early 80's was a nightmare, and don't tell me different, if it wasn't for someones vision in re-equipping with Arriels I don't think there would too many flying offshore nowadays.
Before someone pipes up about the S92, which I have no doubt will be a great aircraft, remember this, the 61 was in service in the early sixtes, the 76 in 1978, but the 92 did not enter service until 2004 and it was developed from a proven drivetrain, doesn't that tell you something.
We all have our favourite helicopter, but that is no reason to knock another type without reason, there again some people's views obviously depend on what country the Helicopters were manufactured in, all other data is secondary.

Slainte,
Tynecastle.