PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EH101 Merlin
Thread: EH101 Merlin
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2004, 07:13
ZH844

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lu, what the do you mean about 'crashworthiness', in both RN Merlin incidents the crew were in the aircraft at the time of impact and they all survived. On one occasion the aircraft entered the sea at >60kts and the cockpit held together - apparently if the same happened in a Sea King (from the same home as the S-92) there would of been fatalities - the words of the pilot not mine!

This 'crash' issue seems to be something that need clarification. Four airframes have been destroyed due to accidents. Sadly the crew of PP2 lost there lives but in all other cases the crew live to tell the tell. There is a 5th loss being talked about and this could be a reference to PP7 that made a running landing at Malpensa Airport. This wasn't really an accident and following a few repairs flew again soon after - in fact on one flight it took yours truly over Milan in early 98!

Although I have an interest in the EH101 I agree with Heedm in that I am not sure who has the best airframe US101 or S-92 (never flown the S-92) and it won't be the best aircraft to win the VXX contract but the 'right' one - just like Canada..

I will also ask you to think twice and then again when posting 'facts' to this site - I have the resources to check them and will take great pleasure in correcting you!