PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OK, so what does PPR REALLY mean???
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2004, 09:23
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"I would much rather be thought a timid wimp for asking permission and seeking advice then have to stand there with a busted aeroplane with some guy saying "Didn't you know about the (pothole/mud/powerline/ kangaroos/emus/cattle/ditch/ gliders/quicksand or whatever)?"

I think with respect you have missed the point.

I don’t think anyone is suggesting landing without checking with the operator that they will accept you and enabling them to point out any hazards. All other issues aside to do so would be just plain rude as often the field is their private property.

I think the point that is being debated is it would be helpful to know which operators will accept a PPR request from the air. I could be very wrong but I have a feeling their are many.

One more example - there is a strip only about 20 mins away. Pooleys insists it is PPR but most people pitch up without phoning first, the owner is delighted to welcome everyone and has told me he would prefer if "regulars" don’t 'phone first as it is disruptive to air ground having to do so.

I for one am cautious about making things any more complicated than necessary. Flying is one of the most regulated past times and I am sure it is one of the things that put people off.