PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Night Vision Goggles (NVG discussions merged)
Old 9th Nov 2004, 09:19
Kalif

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Police and NVGs

In the Oct/Nov edition of Defence Helicopter, the Dyfed-Powis ASU try to make a case for the use of NVGs for Police Air Support Operations.

Various arguments are made ranging from we've bought the kit, why can't we use it. Safety enhancement and costs.

Silly move if you've spent money before things are firmed up!

You've got a very good Thermal Image system with a very large torch strapped to the machine. I can see the reasoning for the rear observer using NVG's; he's remote from the front seat crew/pax and it can enhance his ability to operate. Why would a pilot want to go on NVGs? On NVGs you're very unaware of what the outside weather conditions are. A very real possibility of going inadvertant IMC then exists with the pilot (not instrument rated) then having to go onto instruments and recover what would be a rapidly deteriorating situation.

Surely to enhance safety all police pilots should be instrument rated and not do this micky mouse "instrument awareness" training. There have been accidents of inadvertant IMC that would have been perfectly recoverable had the pilot been rated.

The costs of fitting a helicopter for NVG against the costs of instrument rating pilot would I think come out in favour of the instrument rating.

The Defence Hewlicopter article quite rightly says that as far as the CAA is concerned, police operations are public transport; quite correct. As such public transprot rules must apply and can't be watered down due to a ill-informed view that NVG's are the way to go.

Any way all you Air Support Units, let's have your views.

Oh, by the way, before I get told to not to go on about things I no nothing about, police operations, been there and done that.