PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C172 short field landings
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2004, 06:05
1McLay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi SAS

Thanks for your reply. I totally agree with you sir about being careful of what you are teaching your students. It's something I wouldn't be teaching my PPL students either.

Operationally however it is not something we have to be doing to get into the strip however it makes life much easier. This of course as you rightly said is the difference between your and my environment.

But picture a bush strip thats around 3500 ft asl, that is by no means flat, a lot of undualations, has water pooled on it when it rains and any wind can be unpredictable and gusty on a good day. The strip length maybe a little under 500m, not straight and about 10m wide surouned by mountains thousands feet higher. This is a good bush strip. Ideally you want to get on the ground where you have planned (for example just on the other side of a water puddle).

So you put the plane where you want it but are immediatly sent skyward as you ride up a small undualation at 50 odd knots, so again you're airborne with little rudder control, the crosswind now takes you off the side of the narrow runway and into rough tussock and rocks, the thing is sinking again and a go-round is inevitable, so here you are low, slow and weighted, the last thing you want is sink, but hey just to keep you working you get sink, now you are below the strip and down in a river, strugling your guts out to get Vy. This has actually happened to me in a matter of seconds, however I was a passenger and i tell you now, it wazs pretty scary stuff. Shouln't be there, you got that right!

But alas it happend, and you learn from it.

Retracting that flap is gonna keep that thing on the ground, it will ride over the undulations and wont come unstuck and I needn't inslut your intelligence but when the wheels are not on the ground you haven't any breaking performance at all.

Remember generally the TAS is going to be higher than the IAS at altitude too.

if you mean weight and balance than yes, because these are CTO's. A lot of it however comes down to proficiency on A/C and in these environments. Knowing your aircraft and what it can do are very important as with any operation. This type of flying can be very rewarding in its own unique ways.

Kind regards

1M