PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C172 short field landings
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2004, 00:47
Say again s l o w l y

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi 1M,
Nope, my experience in 172's is limited to grass strips in the U.K. as an instructor, rather than as a bush pilot. Very different disciplines!

I can see where you are coming from, but I would definately kick a student up the a**e if they tried lifting flaps with me, rather than getting the speeds right.

If someone is just having difficulty with getting the a/c where they want it in a 'normal' environment, such as a 500m strip here in the U.K, then they need to practise the basics rather than trying out wierd and wonderful techniques, that may have their place in your world, but not for a low hour PPL.

In this situation dumping flap wouldn't help the fundamental problem of too much speed.
I'm very careful of what I suggest to inexperienced people sometimes, since their exuberence can sometimes overcome their (current) skill level. As they get more experienced, then different techniques may become more appropriate, but nothing can ever compare with getting the fundamental skills down pat.

The world of professional flying is very different from what we are describing here. To be honest there are procedures I use in my day job that would lead me to have a fit if I saw a student using something similar.

I'm just wondering, when dropping into a short, dusty, hot and high field whilst fully loaded up, do bush pilots do the calcs before hand? Doing that sort of flying leaves bu**er all space for mistakes or problems, not a situation I want any of my students to find themselves in (or myself for that matter!). A pro bush pilot may take all this in their stride, but should a 100Hr PPL, who maybe flys a couple of hours a month, even contemplate this sort of thing? Horses for courses and all that....

If you have to dump flap to get in somewhere, then IMHO you shouldn't be there in the first place! I assure you that having that attitude will keep you alive alot longer than any "tricks of the trade."

I will try raising the flap after landing, but I bet that it makes stuff all difference in this environment, whilst increasing the workload. Gusts are all part of the game and the speed should relevant to that. 50% of the gust speed added to the Vat.

The whole relationship between lift and drag, weight and braking efficiency is very complex, I don't see that the difference in braking efficiency is relevant, how many people use even 70% of the braking capability? Unless you are right on the edge of locking up, then the improvement is unimportant.

Your experience tells you one thing about this, mine another, I suppose its all about how you look at it.