PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EAAC's 747 operation with 3 engines
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2004, 22:03
Gareth Blackstock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EAAC's 747 operation with 3 engines

Just seen this on another site.

From what I gather G-BDXE was flying back from Reunion Island (East of Madagascar) when the incident happened. Reports from the passengers were of fire, though this did cause some confusion as the cabin crew thought there was a fire in the cabin.

There was and engine fire after takeoff (something to do with the exhaust part of the engine) and as you can imagine this caused some panic among the pax an cabin crew. The captain in question decided to fly the rest of the 10 hour journey back to Paris rather than divert back to the Airport at Reunion Island. Apparently this was due to contractual reasons and the fact European didn't want to loose the contract.

The engineer that was travelling back had to supervise with changing the engine the following day in Paris, he did this with little or no sleep having been to Reunion Island with the plane the day before.

There were some senior people at the hotel in Paris who didn't even bother to check up on the operating crew when they arrived back into Paris. Apparently the flight deck were met by the airport authorities upon arrival back into Paris and quizzed as to what happened. The Black box has been taken by the CAA to be investigated.

I for one am happy I am not with European, there is no way I'd compromise my safety.
Does anyone know if this is accurate or indeed what happened?

Gaz