PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Excel B767 and bmibaby B737 collision at Manchester
Old 7th Nov 2004, 11:29
MOR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NigelOnDraft

I have read the thread, and you have missed the point (again).

No, there is no specific instruction as to exactly where to hold. Now, please show me the specific instruction in any CAA document that tells me what speed I must taxi at? Or perhaps you could show me where I am instructed by the CAA in the precise method of establishing the risk of a birdstrike?

The fact that not every single possible permutation of maouevering an aircraft is written down, does not absolve the pilot in command from using good judgement. To use the AIB report to try and justify holding a long way short of the holding point is simply doltish.

I am very reluctant to go to the CAT 1 hold with landing traffic. It is just plain commonsense with 100s of tons of landing aeroplances under varying degrees of control due weather and maybe tech problems, not to try and park yourself right in the line of fire.
That is such a load of crap that it barely justifies a reply. However, if you feel that the published clearances are inadequate for you, feel free to make up your own. In fact, why not just stay at the pier, you should be safe there.

Has it never occurred to you that the holding point positions are arrived at after a very long risk assessment process? And that if somebody is far enough off track to hit you whilst you are sitting at the hold, it wouldn't really matter where you were on the taxiway system - you would still be at risk? An aircraft that out of control in the approach is going to end up a fireball, and a few metres back from the hold will almost certainly make no difference whatsoever.

Do please grow up.

Arkroyal

Didn't ICAO get rid of blocks in favour of the system of holding points we now use?
No, Edinburgh (for one) still uses them. Or did last time I was there.