PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Excel B767 and bmibaby B737 collision at Manchester
Old 7th Nov 2004, 10:54
NigelOnDraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MOR

I wish you'd actually read the thread instead of making a pr*t of yourself:
1. You'll see the reference to Air Pilot was from a post by Val D'Isere - not me. I made it a quote for that reason - I don't know what it is either
We all know that "hold at the holding point" means as close as you can reasonably get to the line without crossing it
B*llocks. Read the thread. I have quoted from an AAIB report where another pilot held 10s of metres short of his clearance, justified it, and was supported by the AAIB who said they could find nothing to indicate why he should be right up to the Holding Point. He also had his tail clouted!

What possible reason could there be for not pulling forward to the holding point (in general terms, not this specific case)?
Plenty - can't be bothered to recite them all here - I've already quoted some above (the pilot referred to above) - but since you can't be bothered to read them up there, I doubt you'll be bothered to read my reply.

As an aside, at LHR, say crossing 27L from the V's I am very reluctant to go to the CAT 1 hold with landing traffic. It is just plain commonsense with 100s of tons of landing aeroplances under varying degrees of control due weather and maybe tech problems, not to try and park yourself right in the line of fire.

This is not the issue however. For some reason that is not really relevant, the 737 might have been cleared to T1, and might have been well short of it. Whatever, even if he was cleared to T1, and was at S2 (?), it does not mean he deserved having his tail hit... i.e. not being at T1 sounds maybe only a (minor) contributory factor. The major factors I'll leave to the AAIB to determine.